Wednesday, February 20, 2008

What Has My Life Come To?!?!?

This post should rate #! for most boring and uninteresting post.

I have had the most disappointing week.
It all began last Friday. I am in need of a bunch of books for school and being the skin-flint that I am, I cannot bear to buy them all new. So, I went off to the biggest used bookstore that I know (which is not the cheapest place to buy books) with my giant lists in hand. I took two of my dc who were not thrilled with the fact that mommy looked so long. I only found one book out of the stacks and stacks that are there. I also stopped by two other places. In one, I located a book that was not on my list, but I could use for the younger kids. It is funny how they are low priority when I have three in hs next year. Wow!!! Did I just say that?!?!?! Anyway, at my third store, I found a book I needed, but it was still $48!! Ka-ching!!! And I had a hard time paying $6.95 + tax for the one book I bought. So, I am waiting a bit for the pricey book.... So, my trip to used bookstores netted me one book crossed of my list.

On Sat, I went off with Hannah on the excursion where I was unable to locate two supposed used bookstores -- see my post below. Not a fun day for book hunting although I did enjoy my company.

Monday...visit to thrift store row netted me two books. One was for this year and saved for the future. One was for fun. Neither were on the list. Oh, but I did find a very cool and old hc Marguerite Henry book in another store that deals in cheapo paperbacks (which was another stop that netted me zero books for school).

Tuesday, I decided to run up to a pharmacy a few towns over to buy a new jar of cream for Iz. Now, this cream if very effective, but you cannot buy it just anywhere. I have two places where I buy it. The place that I went to last time had the 1lb jar in stock. Since this is much more cost efficient, I decided to go back there to buy another jar. Well, wouldn't you know, the stuff wasn't there. Argh!! So, I went back home and stopped by the dinky pharmacy down the road from my house and asked them to special order the 1lb jar. While I was there, I asked them if they knew of a place I could buy nebulizer parts so I can have two sets -- a piece from one of my sets was pulverized. Sometimes I give Iz two medications within 10 minutes of each other and it saves me from having to completely clean a set between the dosing. I knew of a place in town, but I thought if there was somewhere closer, I would go there. The nice pharmacist gave me three numbers to call. Great!! I go home and call one and the number is out of service. Another number is the pharmacy two towns away where i had just asked while I was there searching for cream and they didn't have any. So, I go online and become a detective. I found another phone number and called. This time I got a lady who did not seem pleased that I had called. No it wasn't the pharmacy. Sigh....I could order the parts online, but the shipping would cost more than the neb set.

Today.....I go to pick up the special order cream and a bar of Iz's soap. Yeah!! It is in. Then I go off with address in hand to see if I can find the other pharmacy. I drove to one end of the road, turned around and drove towards the other end. I DID find it. They did have a neb set, but it had the tubing as well which I didn't really need. Oh well, I bought it anyway. It saved me a trip in town. While I was there, I noticed a bar of Oilatum. You would have thought I had found gold. I practically exclaimed "Oh, Wow!!" I had heard of it, but I had never seen it before. I am sure the cashier thought I had lost my mind. In fact, I didn't even buy it. I already have a soap that works. Then, it was off to Walmart. While I was there, I looked for a cream I was trying to locate for my older three dc . Walmart was supposed to have it. Nope....it wasn't there. I stopped by another dinky pharmacy and I couldn't recall the correct name of the cream, so they couldn't order it for me. My girls and I went out tonight which was the bright spot of my week so far. On our way home, I stopped at Harris Teeter and was about to give up looking and amazingly found the stuff. Now, with my luck and the way my week has been going, it will not help.

I know that you all must wonder why I do these things. TBH, I was wondering that myself this week. It gets VERY old store hopping. My dream is visiting one store -- I really don't care which one -- and buying every single thing that I need there. I know people who actually do this and it really is amazing to me. What a luxury it would be!!! Even if I ordered online, I would have to do it from various places. I seriously think I must have gone cuckoo to do all these nutty things. I guess that the Lord knew my kids needed a mom who liked research, was just a bit adventurous, and was willing to ferret out places and things to serve them. When I arrived home today and I handed Iz a bag and he looked inside, it was all worth it. "My creams!!" he exclaimed. You would have thought I had bought the moon and packed it in a bag for him.

In other happenings today....
Lydia and Simon and I walked to where Ski parks to catch the bus. This isn't a big deal, but on our walk, a rottweiler came out of nowhere. I don't think it would have been an issue -- it looked friendly enough -- buy Lydia is scared to death of dogs. The poor thing began screaming and running away. The dog trotted after her because I think it wanted to play. I had to yell at the poor girl to stop running and screaming and to just walk forward without looking back. I yelled "go home" a few times and I think it got the idea.

The girls and I went out, as I said. I had coffee (oh, no!!) and they had ice cream. We sat and watched the lunar eclipse. Now and then we would howl at the moon. Yes.....we are crazy!! Apparently, Christelle felt that the eclipse was a bit anticlimactic. After the moon was dark, she said "What happens now?" Well, honey.....that's it. The above pic is for Christelle who thinks eclipses should be a bit more exciting.

No comments: