Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Soup's On!!


We had the best dinner tonight.
Ski and I love Minestrone and I looked and looked for a recipe.
I finally found one that I adapted for our use. It turned out to be super delicious. My children thought that the best part was naming all of the veggies that they found inside. I also made some Italian-style whole wheat bread. Wow!! It has been a long time since I have made any bread.....

Minestrone
3 Tbsp olive oil
3 stalks celery, cubed
1/2 onion, cubed
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 gal chicken stock
1 tsp chopped parsley
1 tsp chopped basil
1 tsp oregano
4 carrot, cubed
4 tomato (I used canned whole tomatoes), cubed
1-2 oz. prosciutto ham (I used two ham hocks)
5 potatoes, peeled and cubed
1/2 pound fresh green beans cut into inch long pieces
1 head savoy cabbage, cored and cut into wedges
2 zucchini, cubed
1 can kidney beans
1 can garbanzo beans
1 can cannellini beans


Heat oil and sauté celery, onion, and garlic.
When those are soft, add green beans, cabbage, zucchini, parsley and basil and oregano.
Cook these until cabbage is soft.
Add chicken stock, tomatoes, prosciutto, potatoes and carrots.
Bring to boil and then reduce to simmer.
Simmer for 20-30 minutes or until potatoes are soft.
Add canned beans with liquid and simmer 5 more minutes.
Remove prosciutto. Store in fridge overnight.
Reheat and serve.

No comments: