Tuesday, February 26, 2008

iPod wOrthy: Larry Norman

Call it what you will, I started earnestly following The Lord in 1982. I also started listening to "Christian music" then. After attending quite a few concerts, I noticed there were certain artists that, when they spoke, what they had to say was just as good, if not better, than the music they were performing. I had not really formed any sort of theological convictions at that point but I still remember things I've heard from folks like Phil Driscoll, Leon Patillo, Mylon Lefevre, Glen Kaiser, and Larry Norman that have stuck with me.

I've seen Larry Norman in concert at least three times (even had an "Ntv" t-shirt back in the day). I remember how humbly childlike he spoke. He was an amazingly brilliant song writer and performer. Yet, he wasn't polished vocally. He left coughs and giggles on his records. He was SO in love with Jesus and his boldness and honesty was uncomfortable and inspiring at the same time.

I feel about him like some folks feel about Bob Dylan. He was a voice and an example for many and much of today's gospel music would still be in the dark ages if God hadn't used him as a means of grace. Larry had SERIOUS health issues late in his life and he recently went on to be with his Lord at age 60. I will miss him and I feel a loss but I'm happy that Larry is in heaven worshiping Jesus.

I only have a few CDs from Larry and iTunes and Walmart have a totally LAME selection of his songs. (shame on them!!) I'll have to dig around eBay and fill out my collection.

Larry put out around 62 albums ("count 'em") so it's impossible for me to pick one song that's iPod wOrthy. I've chosen ten songs I love from him that I have yet to acquire. If you can find any of his CDs, especially ones with music from the 60s and 70s--buy 'em.

Good bye Larry. Thank you.

1) If the bombs fall
(a song that wonderfully expresses how I feel about B)
2) Moses in the wilderness
3) Six o'clock News
4) Christmastime
5) Up in Canada
6) Sweet sweet song of salvation
7) We need a whole lot more of Jesus
8) Hard luck and bad news
9) Watch what you're doin'
10) Put your life into His hands

5 comments:

Marge said...

I'm not much of a Larry Norman fan, but I did listen to him back in the 70's and even owned one album - "In Another Land." I remember one weekend home from college, I played C-I-G-A-R-E-T-T-E for my stepmom, who at the time was an unbelieving smoker. Don't think that went over too well. Thank God she became a Christian a few years later and quit smoking. No thanks to my tactful evangelism!

Anonymous said...

Always been a Larry Norman fan, well, at least since I started listening to Christian music back in the mid 70's.

Only have him on vinyl. I haven't pulled it out in a while, but think I will soon.

7 - 10 are some of my favorites of his.

He will be missed.

Steve S

Marge said...

Wait a minute. That wasn't Larry Norman, was it? What's that guy's name? My mind is drawing a blank.

Marge said...

Now I remember - it was Randy Stonehill and the name of the song was "Lung Cancer." Oh, well, I was close. Kinda. Sorry about that. I am going to be 50 this year, you know....

Robin said...

OMG....Gene and I were talking about Larry Norman recently! I used to listen to him too...back in the 70s...what a trip! Thanks for the post!