Monday, February 11, 2008

All Fall Down.....


We have entered a "first" in the B n Ski household. After 15yrs of having children, we have our first broken bone. Well, actually it is TWO broken bones!!! And actually, B did have that bicycle accident over 20 yrs ago. Here is how our "first" went down.....

On Sunday afternoon, Ski and I decided to take a walk. Most of the kids decided to stay home. However, two of them chose to accompany us. I was a beautiful day, although it was quite windy. We were having a great time and made our way to one end of our neighborhood. We turned around and were heading on home when the incident occurred. Our dearest Christelle was on roller blades.....

She loves those roller blades and is actually very good on them. I cannot conceive of it. I have never, ever been able to learn how to roller skate. In fact, I hate it with a passion. Most of our kids do not know how to roller skate because I have never taken them. Many, many, many years ago, I did used to ice skate. But believe me, the two are not related in the least. For one, the movement is completely different. Secondly, ice skating lends itself much more to my congenital tibial torsion. The problem with rollerskating, I believe, is that you must keep your feet facing forward which is nearly impossible for me to do without getting very unbalanced.

So, if you did not know, there is a nice long sloping hill in the front of our neighborhood. I was being a bit silly with C. and she decided to catch up with dad. She got going downhill a bit too fast, lost control and landed on the ground. I could tell by her landing that we might have a problem. She did say "Ow, ow, ow..." but not much more than that. When we got home, I took a close look at it and it wasn't swelling, but the joint felt odd to me. Plus her range of motion was not good. So, off we went to Urgent Care. Long story short, she broke both her ulna and her radius in the wrist area. They put a splint on it and this afternoon we saw an Orthopedist. One of her bones is dislocated a little, but thankfully not enough to need a pin. She now has a cast and some pain medication. She didn't sleep at all last night because of pain, but we had no idea because she didn't come and tell us. She is a trooper!!! Oh, and did I mention, she broke her dominant hand?!?!

I'll post pics when she is feeling a little better. I don't think that she is ready for a photo op.

On top of this, Isaac is having some nose action going on so we are doing the breathing treatments again. Oh joy!! I got home rather late tonight due to the dr visit and pharmacy run and Ski was still working (but at least he was home today) and Isaac was sleeping. Iz needs "time" to wake up and he was a bit of a mess breathing-wise, but was completely happy once we got through a neb treatment and had a little snuggle time. At least I had planned a dinner that could cook all day and be ready once I was home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

These are the kinds of firsts that we prefer not to happen. Sorry to hear about Christelle's fall. We'll be praying for her, as well as looking forward to signing her cast.