Saturday, August 23, 2008

More signs of aging


Ok....I suppose I need to confess.

I loved the punk/post-punk era and the first "alternative" genres of music. I'd tell you my favorite band of that era, but I wouldn't want to shock you too much. :) Let's just say that I liked unusual music -- still do. Most of these groups were British and I liked most of it from the wild and crazy to the sublime. Most of them few people I have met have ever heard of. I still have some of this music hanging around. And I still like it!! While not really punk, post-punk or necessarily alternative, I really liked Elvis Costello years before most people knew who he was. If you still don't know, you are missing out, IMHO. And I bet you have heard his songs. He has been in alot of movies lately and even on a tv commercial. And his song "Green Shirt" was on Muzak way back in the 80's. It really is a shame. I think EC rocks!! He can sing almost anything and sound good. He has such a rich a deep tone. I have been glad to see a kind of resurgence of him lately.

Well, the point of all of this rambling is that one of my punk/post-punk/alternative groups was playing over the Muzak in McDonald's!!! I am truly appalled! Imagine munching a Big Mac or a McChicken to "In Between Days" by The Cure. There is something just not right about it. Is Robert Smith now wearing a leisure suit and loafers? Is he now sporting a Fade? I always LOVED his hair along with that unique voice. There is just something unsettling to know that this band who used to be cutting edge is now served up with fries and happy meals. I can't imagine a whole generation growing up thinking that The Cure is old fogey music.

So, my friends...I am beyond old. I have entered the age of my parents. My favorite music is now playing over the sound system in McDonald's and soon it will be playing in elevators at the mall. What ever am I going to do!?!?!

2 comments:

Marge said...

That's so funny, Becky!

ski said...

Eh? Whaddya say? Where's my teeth? And my hair? Back in my day....