Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Da Do Run, Run, Run

I recently hit a few personal milestones with my running. Nike Plus keeps track of your mileage (via iPod Nano hotsync downloads) and "rewards" you when you hit certain distances. When I started running I was determined to train at a slow pace because everything I heard and read said not to overdo it and get hurt. I may at some point blog about the training schedule/method I came up with but, suffice it to say that I took that advice to heart.

So, according to Nike, "on 7/29/08, after 218 runs at an average pace of 14 minutes, 47 seconds per mile, JangoMickey (that's me) ran 500 total miles". I basically started in January of 2007 to give you and idea of how long it took me.

This month, for the first time ever, I ran the distance of a 5k as well. I hope to start joining some actual 5k races soon. I already run outside, not on a treadmill, so I'm used to that but I'm sure the adrenaline will be different if I'm aware of other runners going the same distance that I am. My goal all along has been to maintain at least a 16 min/mile pace. I really don't think running with others will have a huge impact. But it sounds fun and a t-shirt and crossing off a personal goal will be enough of a reward for me personally. Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Dave!

skisgirl said...

So very proud of you!!!!
You are the most awesome dude!!!!