Sunday, January 27, 2008

The Tale of the Grocery Run and the Snuggly Boy

Here is a story that very few of you will most likely not understand. But, it is part of the ins and outs of our life. :) You will soon see that I don't have a life!!

One day last week, as Ski was going into work, he met a coworker in the elevator. They were talking away and the subject of Whole Foods came up. Remember, Whole foods is a kind of Mecca for us. This is the place where we buy rice milk for our youngest ds. Amazingly, this is the only brand that we have found that we could deem safe for him to drink. So, for almost 5 yrs, we have been making trips to Whole Foods or asking friends to bring us cases. A few years ago, they announced that they would open two Whole Foods stores in Tidytown. Since that announcement, the progress has been very slow. In fact, one of the stores that was planned has been nixed. So we are still waiting for the one to open.

So, as he was speaking, his co-worker told Ski that Whole Foods was now open. Not only that, but a utter stranger in the elevator also confirmed this. So, my sweet Ski called me and told me the wonderful news. I was ecstatic!! In fact, since Ski had been in disbelief, he asked to be sure that the new store was Whole Foods. So, since I do not have enough to do during the day, I told my younger three to get their sock, shoes, and coats on and we left on a trek to find a local source for rice milk. To give you an idea of how desperate I was and how very important this is to us, I was going to a part of town I do not like to drive in, taking a huge 15 passenger van, and would be arriving at lunchtime.

So, I drove a back way to arrive at the corner that the store is supposed to be. My heart fell. On one corner was a shopping center with a banner proclaiming "Earth Fare Now Open." Hmmmm....Well, TWO people said that it was Whole Foods. So, I proceeded to the next corner. There, I did not find Whole Foods. I DID find a lady loading groceries into her cart. I asked her where the new store might be. I was agahst to find that she had NEVER HEARD of Whole Foods. Well, I thought this is certainly not a good sign. So, I drove around and ended up in the back of a hotel parking lot. My phone was dieing, but I called Ski and I said....."I think that they meant Earth Fare. Can you please ask and make sure?" 15 minutes later, Ski calls and tells me that he has come to the same conclusion. I was so disappointed that I almost wept right then and there.

Well, I needed bread anyway, so I decided to stop by Earth Fare. When we arrived, I snapped this pic of my kiddos:


It was supposed to be a pic of them smiling from ear to ear in front of a sparkling new Whole Foods. Alas, it is them trying their best to have grumpy faces. I was encouraging them to pout, but they were laughing hysterically. We did seriously think of buying tomatoes to throw at Earth Fare. They have a huge tomato on their signs. :) And wouldn't you know that they didn't have a single loaf of Iz's bread so I had to make another stop on my way home. My dream is a grocery store where I can buy everything that I need.

The good part of the story is that I was able to pick up Ski on his lunch hour and the kids had a snack while Ski had lunch. So, the race is still on. Which will open first? Whole Foods or Ikea?!?!?!

Not much went on this weekend. It was rather quiet, in fact.
When Iz is tired, he likes to climb up on the couch beside mom. But if dad is home, that is even better. He climbs up on Ski's lap and finds a comfy place to take a nap. Here is where Iz spent a lazy Sunday afternoon:

Isn't he just so cute?!?! It melts my heart every time to see him sleeping so happily in his daddy's arms. We both agree that Ski is the most cuddly guy ever!!

No comments: