Thursday, January 24, 2008

Sentimental Mush

I am a melancholy person I suppose -- full of emotion and stuff. I like books that make me cry, movies that do the same. I like music with words to make me think, laugh, and yes, even cry. I happened on a friend's blog today and she has lovely clips of Puccini. Ahhh.....I just looooooooove Puccini!!! We soooo agree on Nessun Dorma!! So as I was reading, I had her clip of Maria Callas playing. I was laughing like crazy. Hearing me laugh, Nathaniel said "What's so funny?" Sigh. My dc just do not understand me. Maybe it comes from when I played flute in orchestra and you hear that magical ringing when everything is perfect. Perhaps it is from singing with an amazing choir director who demanded perfection and somehow brought out of us something we never knew was there.

Tonight, I took my three oldest to hear a string quartet. I cannot even begin to describe how wonderful they were!! I wept at the Andante that they played from a Mozart quartet. A tango from Piazzolla left me laughing. But, oh...the Ravel!! Now, I have never been keen on Ravel. Ski has always liked "Bolero," but that piece has never been for me. But the String Quartet in F was magical for me. I was enchanted, entranced, and oh so moved. I had the gamut of emotions. My children think I have lost my mind. I so wish that Ski was with me. At least he enjoys to watch me get all goofy at a song. Once, Nessun Dorma was on the XM radio at Starbucks and I got all loopy. It freaks me out when I realize he is watching me with a goofy grin, but at least he doesn't think I have lost my mind. So, tonight I had tears in my eyes, chuckled under my breath, and sighed to the extreme. So heavenly is the gift of music!!!

I am now on a search for this piece that I have fallen in love with. Here is just a taste:



You can listen to all four movements if you want a treat, but this is just the first movement. This is not the group that we saw tonight, but it will give you a taste.

3 comments:

Marge said...

B,

What is this piece they're playing? It is bee-you-tee-full!! I agree with you that music is a wonderful gift from God and I think it's really cool to see how much enjoyment you get from it. I don't think I'll ever share your love of opera, though!

skisgirl said...

It is the first movement (Allegro moderato - Tres Doux) of String Quartet in F Major by Ravel. There are four movements altogether and it is just fantastic!!

skisgirl said...

BTW, to find the other movements, they are entitled Ravel string quartet (part 2, 3, & 4). I think my very favorite is the Lento. Amazing!!!