Saturday, January 31, 2009

A non-scientific experiment

Since my two favorite teams, the Packers and the Panthers, aren't in the Superbowl this year, I thought it might be fun to play N in Madden 2009 for the Wii using the 4 teams in the AFC and NFC championship. We played 5 minute quarters, had a blast together, and correctly predicted the two winning teams, the Cardinals and Steelers. (I won one match, he won the other). Then, the next week I thought we should change to 15 minute quarters and play the Superbowl matchup.

It was a slaughter. N was beating me like, 64 - 3 in the third quarter and I was having a very hard time not being a sore loser. I couldn't complete a pass. I really thought I wasn't operating the Wiimotes correctly. I was really struggling with pride and anger so I decided I would quit. N and I hardly talked at all. I had to repent and ask his forgiveness the next day (we played before bedtime). He was gracious, forgave me, and confessed a little attitude of pride as well, but I've never really had such a bad competitive attitude towards him. Shameful.

After a week, I thought maybe we could play a rematch. I was thinking, too, that I might do better with a shorter game, maybe the 5 minute quarters again, since it adds the important element of "momentum", which can be a pretty big part of real NFL games. If you make a mistake, the other team has an opportunity to capitalize on it and score.

So we played again at the begining of this week. We used five minute quarters and we made a point to laugh with and encourage each other. Once again, we had a lot of fun. The score was also a lot closer. I think it was 7 -6 at halftime.

The result? First, let me say I like the Cardinals since they have players like Kurt Warner and Anquan Boldin (a former Seminole) who are believers and give glory to Jesus during postgame interviews, (as long as they walk the talk). Second, while it's not as bad as Dallas, I'm sick of Pittsburgh winning so many championships. The prospect of them winning number six makes me a little ill. I know, coming from a Yankees fan, that's a little hypocritical. So in my heart I hope the Cards pull it out. N is a Kurt Warner fan. S likes the Steelers.

Oh, and this probably sounds bad coming from a former Jersey boy, but I have more "hateoraide" for Bruce Springsteen than I do for the Pittsburgh Steelers. (ok, "Born to run" and "Santa Claus is comin to town" are fine -- I'll pass on everything else). Apparently Bruce is the halftime show (yech).

So based on our Wii result, the winner of Superbowl XLIII will be the Pittsburgh Steelers.....and I hope I'm wrong.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't the Pittsburgh QB also a Christian, Dave? And I can detect your utter disdain by your misspelling of PittsburgH repeatedly in your post. Just a pet peeve of mine. ;P

Why don't you just do what we do? - Turn the tv off during the halftime show! Steve says that probably no one would want to come to our house for the Superbowl because we don't watch the commercials or the half-time show.

Enjoy the game!

ski said...

Thanks for the feedback Marge! I didn't use spell check (obviously).

I don't know much about Ben Roethlisberger. But since everyone in Tidytown seems to originally be from Pittsburgh, my theory is it's actually the site of the garden of Eden.

We'll watch probably the first three quarters of commercials, until we get bored, offended, or until Extreme Home Makeover comes on (or the snacks run out). Hmm, or maybe until I fall asleep. (=