Thursday, January 29, 2009

It's allright, I'm with the band

I want to first say "thank you" to my parents for making me take music lessons when I was young. My grandmother tried to teach me piano when I was 6 or 7. I hated it. Now I kick myself that I can't sit down and play/compose a song for my Lord or my sweetie. (ouch)

When I was in 3rd grade my parents (Mom sings alto, Dad plays clarinet) gave me a list of instruments I could choose from for school band. I remember my baritone horn was, naturally, one of the most expensive instruments on the list. At the time, I was trying to think what would be easiest to learn to play (so typical). The trombone seemed so mysterious, there were so many trumpet players, the clarinet and sax had so many keys. Gimme something simple. Well, I started learning to play Baritone in treble clef, but those gradeschool music teachers are always strategizing and they needed a Sousaphone player. I started playing bass clef, forgot all the treble clef stuff and after a year (I think) they switched me to Sousaphone, which I played on and off through high school (in three different school systems).

Now don't get the wrong idea, I'm REALLY BAD at reading music, especially rhythms. I was blessed to be surrounded by excellent musicians who could play and read well. I could memorize what they played and follow along on the music. As water seeks it's own level, my sight reading got a lot better, especially in college (back on the baritone again) while hangin' with the music majors in symphonic and marching band (I was too chicken to try and major in music).

In 8th grade, (which was a horrible, humbling year for me--but that's a blog for another day) my parents bought me a bass guitar and made me take lessons (see a theme here?). Actually I enjoyed it (still do) but I was too lazy to really learn the music theory they were trying to teach me (ouch--kicked myself again).

I say all this because I still play bass. And I absolutely love it. I've been in bands since the 80's (some good, some really bad) and I'm priveliged to be still playing with the bands at my church, in my 40's, again surrounded by folks with more talent then I'll ever have. But the best thing about playing in a band is you become almost a psuedo "family". I've seen this go off in a bad direction, where a college band I was in almost became a clique (which God was faithful to reveal).

Nowadays, my brothers and sisters on the worship team (including the choir and sound team) are a humbling inspiration to me. Their devotion to God continues to blow me away. I hop and jump around and act like a crazy person playing bass on stage 'cause it's fun and I really want to praise God with all that is within me. My bandmates have also prayed for B and I and have been a continual source of encouragement and friendship. When I had cancer on my face, God divinely had a drummer friend of mine sit on my right side week after week. He had persevered through throat cancer and decided to approach me with his doctor's name to have the spot on my face checked out. Turns out he probably saved my life. I had quarter-sized tumor of basel cell carcinoma removed 4(?) years ago.

His son, C, also plays drums and percussion and I've had the privelidge of watching him grow through many trials. He's an EXCELLENT musician and an even better man of God. He and his Dad are two of my heroes. B and I hope our girls marry someone just like him! We had a "Preach-a-rama" at our church recently and we ended up sitting on the edge of where C's family was sitting. Listening to him preach from God's Word and his life was very inspiring -- like watching family. If C and his wife end up leading a church plant (Wilmington, please God, Wilmington!), we'd have to seriously consider and pray about it!

Thank you God for the gift of music! Sing to Him a new song: play skillfully on the strings, with loud shouts (Psalm 33:3)

1 comment:

Steve said...

It's great being in the same family, Dave. Thanks for sharing your musical history. I'm with you on the Wilmington thing, too, but Asheville would be OK for us.