Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Long Live Science


See that plant?!?!

Yeah, that one on the left....

It is a science project. Almost a year ago, Nat and Curly Girl had a science project to do. They were supposed to take a cutting from a plant and grow it. I looked high and low for a plant since it was the dead of winter. I did find a tiny ivy plant on clearance somewhere. I transplanted the plant into a pot and the kids cut a piece off and stuck it in water.

Now, if there is one thing I am NOT good at, it is growing plants. To be blunt, I STINK at growing things. It all began in childhood when every time I visited my grandmother's house, she would send me home with an African violet cutting. I tried so hard to grow those pretty flowers, but inevitably, they would die. Out of desperation, I begged my mother to buy a cactus for me. But once again, I proceeded to torture the poor defenseless plant and it bit the dust as well. Even as an adult, Ski bought me an African Violet for Mother's Day. It lasted for awhile. But then I needed to repot it. I searched for a lovely pot and carefully transplanted it. Sadly, its days were numbered and it did not survive much longer.

In fact, the funny part of this rather lame story is that the plant that the cutting came from has died. It did not last long. It led a poor existence in my bathroom. Slowly, it frittered away until all that was left was a few sticks. I tried watering it more and I tried not watering it. It just refused to live. So I really find it amazing that a year later, this little cutting is now a plant.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are just talking about houseplants, right? 'Cause I know you have lots of stuff growing in your yard! And I don't think you've killed all the plants I gave you, did you? ;) If it's any consolation, I've never had success with African violets, either. I guess I never had the exact right lighting or something. The ivy looks pretty, by the way!