Friday, October 31, 2008

The Candy Post

Since last night was the night of waaaay too much candy for little kids, I thought that I would do a post on candy. I have almost an insider knowledge of candy. My older brother was basically addicted to sugar. If he had money, we were off to the candy store. Oh and mom and dad did not approve so it was "sneaking" off to the candy store. In fact, one time we got in big trouble because my dad drove by when I was sitting "looking out" on the stoop of a drug store.

Horehounds -- Don't ever eat these. You thought that they were cough drops, right?!?! Well, my daddy, a good old PA German boy insists that they are candy. Of course, he was the one who told me to swallow a raw egg once for my voice. No....I am not naive or gullible. You just have to know my dad. Anyway, my grandmother had a HUGE jar of these beside her bed. Of course, then there is the fact that grandma fed us about a zillion St. Joseph's whenever we stayed at her house. It is amazing that my brothers and I did not suffer from Reye's syndrome or something. Well, anyway....horehounds are despicable and should never be eaten. And those candy stick people should be shot for sticking them among the real candy stick flavors of cherry, peppermint, and sassafras. On second thought, you've got to try them just once in your life!! Go ahead and indulge!!!

Circus Peanuts -- These are another bad idea for candy. My grandmother used to give us bags of these for "going home surprises" Don't ask.... Well, since grandma was old and would often misplace things, I don't think I ever had a fresh circus peanut until I was grown. Nope....fresh or stale, they are not good. I even found a brand that our allergic to lots of candy ingredients ds could have. I bought one bag and I could not bear to ever buy another one.



Dots on Paper -- Do these have a real name? I seriously think that whoever came up with this idea was someone who hated kids. It is about the most disappointing candy I have ever eaten. And my kids agree!!

Playtime Gum -- this was fake bazooka. At our favorite candy store this was a penny as opposed to bazooka for 5 cents. I have looked for reference to this gum but I can't find any. To be honest, it tasted like penicillin. YES....REALLY!!! For a long time I never would chew plain bubble gum because of this nasty gum.

Watermelon Bazooka -- this was yummy!!

Wax Coke Bottles -- Seriously doggone awesome idea for a candy. I used to love chewing the wax, too. Now wax lips and those colored wax bottles were really yucky, though.

Marathon Bar -- This is my all time favorite candy bar. There is nothing like it made in the States although I am told there is a British candy bar that is similar. These used to be like a foot long. I liked them best when they were soft snd stretchy.

Teaberry Gum -- This used to be my favorite of the wierd flavored gums. I have also had Blackjack, Clove and Beeman's. Sadly, I had teaberry gum not long ago. I could not stand it so I gave it to my kids.

Fruit Stripe Gum -- I used to like this alot back in the day

Chiclets -- only the big ones, please

Beechnut gum -- Makes me think of my uncle.

Reese Cups -- This is the only candy I remember my other grandmother ever eating. She always had a stash of these in her house.

Candy Corn -- Tastes best to me eaten out of a tiered candy dish shaped like a man bought in a store in Chinatown.

Mary Janes -- Only the rectangular ones. Yes, Ski....I love 'em!! I probably wouldn't eat them now, though.

Sixlets -- cheap and good

Chocolate -- almost any form at all but preferably without any nuts. Favorites? Hershey's of course!!! See what I got in the mail?!!?!?!? Gotta love having a brother in Hershey. After all these years, he is still my supplier!!! Oh wait...was I supposed to share?!?!?!



Sen-Sens -- Are they REALLY candy? They are like horehounds. My basic theory on sen-sens is that it is candy eaten by old people who sing in choirs. Oh wait....that might be me!! If you've never tried them, you need to!! Come on....you know that you want to!!

Twizzlers -- I am very partial to the black ones. The softer, the better!!

Pop Rocks -- Those were just cool!! I don't think Iz would like them, though. You can still get them, but I don't think I would like Homer Simpson on my candy :(


B B Bats -- These are a yummy favorite from long ago. My favorites were banana, chocolate, and strawberry. I never chewed them. Mmmmmm....

Allsorts -- I am not sure really if I like these or not. They are unique. If you have never tried them, you should.


Butter Mints -- My brother and I would rate restaurants and social gatherings on whether they served butter mints. We used to love those mints that melted in your mouth. The worst mints were the ones with licorice in them. The best by far were butter mints. When we discovered those, they were sure to vanish from sight. I am sure we embarrassed our mother greatly with our fondness for butter mints.

Swedish Fish -- You cannot not like these!! They are soft and sweet and delicious!!! My brother would buy a big bag and give me some, too.

Orange Slices -- Oh, oh, oh....YUM!!!! I do not like much fruit flavored stuff, but orange slices ROCK!!!

Barley Toy Pops and Ribbon Candy -- Toy pops are the coolest thing at Christmas when you are little. Sure they got fuzzy from the bottom of your stocking, but they were sooooooo good!! I am not a lollipop person, but I loved my toy pops. Ribbon candy gets a mention here, too because I just think of it at Christmas. Soooo pretty.

Pep-o-mint and Butter rum Lifesavers -- My all time favorite lifesavers!!!!

Brach's Candy for 5 cents -- I could never decide whether I wanted the square caramels, the jelly nougats, neopolitan coconuts, or the filled caramel rolls. Even when my big kids were little, they still had displays in the grocery store. I would tell them to each pick a piece and we would drop our change in the box.

Root Beer Barrels -- Her's another one that my brother would buy. There was a cool candy store that sold penny candy. When my brother didn't have much money, we could still get lots of candy. We could get something like 10 fish for a nickle or something like that.

Candy Cigarettes -- Common....fess up!! You tried these, didn't you?!?! There was even one kind that blew smoke. They were much better than those candy necklaces and lipsticks.

No comments: