Monday, October 13, 2008

18 years and one week

B and I decided from the very beginning that this blog would be about "us". We could've had the primary focus be our 6 skibums, food allergies, homeschooling, parenting or any other field where we might be considered a "subject matter expert". However, without revealing too many of our intimate secrets, we really felt the story of our God-given life together would be what we would find most interesting and rewarding to recall and blog about.

If you've read any of our posts, you've already figured out that B is, far and above, a better writer than I. If she is Dickens, I'm Salinger. If she is Puccini, I'm PDQ Bach. If she's Shakespeare, I'm Ogden Nash. If she's Sunflowers, I'm The Twittering Machine.

I hope you enjoy reading the classiness of our posts (hers) and get a chuckle from the goofiness too (mine). I find both can be profound at times.

I say all this because, after 18 years and one week of marriage to the girl of my dreams, it's time for me to post my "anniversary" blog. I had too many thoughts swirling around in my head that I wanted to share about this beautiful, sexy, caring, creative, brave, Holy Spirit-led woman that in a great cosmic mystery to me, I've been binded to by a "third cord" that can't be broken. It's taken me a while to process but I think it comes down to this:

God's mercies are new every morning.

Huh? What does that mean? Well, it's like this. I believe that in heaven, we'll never fully know everything about God. Even in His presence, we'll still be learning and in worshipful awe of his character, faithfulness, power etc.

God intends, on many levels for my marriage to be a reflection of this relationship between Christ and the church (His Bride). I believe one illustration of this is, just as we will always be discovering something new of God to love in eternity, I still find (after 18 years) that I am still finding new things about B I never realized, new passion and desire for her, new respect and admiration for who God has made her to be, new beauty that continues to reveal itself like so many sunset skies or a finely made wine. Every day. New mercies, new mercies, new mercies--from our steadfast, faithful, powerful God--through B--to me. Wow! How amazing! I REALLY don't deserve her.

I am SO thankful to God for you B. I will NEVER see you as "old, boring, yesterday" if you ever fear that. Please don't. You are ALWAYS a joy to me-- from when I kiss you on the head when I leave early in the morning to when I snuggle up close to you at night.

I look forward to our next 18 years in grateful anticipation.

I love you.

No comments: