Monday, April 14, 2008

Is it or isn't it?


We may be about to embark on a new adventure at our home. It is something that none of us have ever experienced -- including B & Ski!! I must say that I am not the least bit thrilled about the prospect, but nothing really can be done about it. Around 2 wks ago, I learned that a family in our church had contracted chicken pox. I found out on a Thursday and that previous Sunday, our children had been talking with this family. Hmmmmm.....I wonder. Now about two weeks since that Sunday, one of my sons told me today that he has itchy bumps. From what I have read, they look like them, but they are on his leg and not his torso. So the jury is still out. Now, all of my children have been immunized for chicken pox. We did that when the vaccine first came out. Back then, our insurance would not pay for Ski or me to get the titer and two shots required for adults. So, since we had lived in fear every year of our married life of contracting chicken pox, we decided to immunize our children. However, as many a parent can tell you, this shot is not the most effective. In fact, the children who contracted chicken pox in the family above were immunized. So, you see, we have no guarantee that our children will not get it. In fact, if it were not for the possibility of Ski and I getting it at the ripe old age of 40 and 41, I would have brought my children over for a tea party with infected children. I have had many exposures to chicken pox and shingles in my life and never had even a mild case. However, I feel like my luck is running out. But Ski and I have two shots so maybe we will be spared. So, if my now seemingly perfectly healthy son develops more itchy bumps, then we will have to cancel our responsibilities for Sunday morning and hunker down for what could be a very long time. What does not look so good is that one of my daughters is not feeling so great today. Hmmmm......... We will, of course, give an update and let you know the verdict.

No comments: