Saturday, March 29, 2008

iPod wOrthy: KJ-52

B and H both love KJ-52. I think he's pretty hilarious. For those of you who've never heard of him, he's a Christian rapper who (supposedly) sounds a lot like Eminem. So much so that KJ wrote a song called "Dear Slim" and "Dear Slim part 2" about how Eminem fans have heard the gospel in his songs and have accepted Christ. Of course the preaching of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing so KJ ended up on VH-1's "25 Worst moments in rap" special.

The unintended publicity has only served to cause him to take an even more tongue-in-cheek approach to his career and be more emboldened to share the message of the cross. While all this sounds pretty "serious" the majority of his songs have a healthy dose of, usually self-deprecating, humor.

This is true of my favorite song of his, "Piece of Junk Car". I tried to find the lyrics online to this classic but was unable to locate them. The song was a cut on a Bonus disc from his CD entitled "Behind the Musik (a boy named Jonah)". I HIGHLY recommend spending 99 cents to download it from iTunes or wherever. Especially if your history with automobiles is anything like mine. I think, in the 90's, we went through approximately 6 cars/vans in 10 years.

As the song says "whether I got a little or a lot, life ain't about what ya have or have not, so I always thank God for what I got."

No comments: