Friday, May 8, 2009

One tomato, two tomato, three tomato.....


I tried to start some seeds this year in peat pellets. I must have done something wrong because they began to die before I had a chance to plant them outside. I didn't even get to the two pairs of leaves stage. Maybe next year? Funny, though. I started some flowers not long ago and they are doing VERY well. Go figure....

Last weekend, we (Ski, the younger kids and I) went to the Farmer's Market. The big kids were sleeping in. LOL I had heard that they had good deals on plants. Since my seedlings died, I needed to purchase plants because it is getting late. I had never looked in the plant shed there, so I thought I would try it out. I was in search of some plants for my garden at a better price. Almost as soon as I walked in, I found some lovely Roma tomato plants. I bought 9 Romas and 3 peppers and 6 zuchinni. What?!?!?! Am I crazy buying THAT many zuchinni plants?!?! I hope my friends love zuchinni!! Anyway, I paid half the price of plants at Lowes. They were selling them for $1.50 for my big, beautiful tomato plants and $1.50 for three smaller plants like my peppers and squash. Unfortunately, they didn't have any cherry tomatoes. Boo loves cherry tomatoes so I decided that I would grow one plant just for her. We did find one at Lowes and I also got some cucumber plants there.

Well, I thought I was done with tomatoes. Not so!!!

Yesterday morning, the girls and I went to a program at our local library. They had a seed wholesaler speak to us about gardening. It was very interesting. One thing I learned is that you do not need to plant two squash plants. You can just plant one!! But if you only plant one, you need some pretty flowers in order to draw the bees to your squash. Huh!!

Anyway, the guy really likes tomato plants. In fact, he has 150 plants in HIS yard!!!! That's a TON of tomatoes!!! So he really encouraged all of the new people to plant tomatoes because he thinks that they are so easy to grow. He was also really excited to see kids there. He wants them to be interested in gardening. When he left, he gave all of us, including the kids, a cherry tomato plant. So now I have 14 tomato plants!!!! Of course, the girls say that they are not MY plants. We are going to grow theirs in containers so we have only planted one of them in the garden. I need more containers and dirt for the others. My plant went into the garden.

Any ideas on where to fine cheap large containers?

Oh, and the librarian gave me some bean plants and a cucumber. I was going to put the cucumber in my tub with the others, but one of my girls wants it. We will see....

2 comments:

The Brown Family said...

We got our containers at the nursery off of Old Statesville. They weren't too expensive :). We only bought 5 plants! Miri is my tomato girl so I don't think we'll have too many left over! Any tomato growing tips?

ski said...

My only tip....plant marigolds nearby. My mother ALWAYS did this and she never had any issues with bugs in her tomatoes. I read recently that many insects do not like marigolds. Most people suggest that they need to be smelly marigolds.

~B