Saturday, May 9, 2009

I'm a cotton-headed ninnymuggins

I am NOT Mr. Fixit. It took me HOURS to replace a ceiling fan a few years ago (with B's help) 'cause I didn't know about the correct "existing electrical" box. But it works great now and I had the confidence last year to replace our bathroom light fixture--which was not to hard.

Friday I got a call that our downstairs toilet was leaking when it flushed. We had suspected IZ was "missing" when he used the bathroom, but we were wrong. Not knowing if there was any other damage, I thought we'd buy a new commode. Everyone assured me it was EASY to replace the wax ring seal and set the new one on the flange piece, which in our house is made of PVC and you put your bolts up through it to anchor the toilet. Sounds simple huh? Well, as one of my favorite phrases says, "Nothing is fool-proof to a sufficiently talented fool." and I am one!! Not only are my knees old, my shoulder's too big to squeeze in to the tight spaces of our half bath for "good tourque". But the worst thing I did was install the new wax sealing ring, that was probably the cause of our old one's problem, UPSIDE DOWN!!

SO tomorrow we'll go back to Lowes for a fifth time in three days and see about buying a new wax ring (and maybe some bolts). So far I haven't spent more than the $97 it would've cost to have a plumber install it--unless you can put a price on frustration.

I'm glad my Lord and my dear wife love me, not for my abilities and talents (or lack thereof). The attached pictures show me still smiling after Lowes trip #4 (for an extension to our water hookup). But aside from God's grace, and B's company, check what's in my hand that also helps me through this humbling exercise. (it rhymes with "car ducts") (=

1 comment:

skisgirl said...

You are THE MAN!!!
I am so impressed that you would even attempt this arduous task. I told ya....I won't touch a nasty toilet. LOL

I guarantee that you could have easily fixed my fridge, though. I just got tired of the leak. Teeheehee.....