Friday, August 7, 2009

In Search of....the perfect dog toy

If you don't own a dog, I bet you have wondered WHY are there so many dog toys out there. Maybe you have also wondered why someone would spend so much money on dog toys. Well, I am here to let you know.

Go ahead and laugh.
I know it is so obvious, but we are first time dog owners.
When we picked up our sweetie, we headed off to the pet store. Naively, we picked out a few toys.

Many times, our doggie appears to be very stupid. However, when it comes to her toys, she has a knack for finding the weak spot and gnawing away. She is also a ripper. Here is the short list of toys that she has gone through...



This toy is still alive. It no longer has legs or a tail. However, it has lasted longer than any of the other toys. In fact, when this toy bites the dust, we just might get another one like it. The kids call it an Ikea dog. I am not sure WHY. It squeaked when it was new and somehow, it still squeaks. That is a major achievement with her. The Kong donut tennis ring is still around, but it lost its squeak within 5 minutes of play. Not quite worth the money that we forked out for that one. Of course, the Kong still is in one piece. I can't figure out what to put in it besides their treats. Everyone says to put peanut butter in there, but of course, that is out. Sunbutter is a bit too runny. She does like it, but it led to her trying to steal Iz's sandwich off of his plate.




This one I found at Harris Teeter for an awesome price. She liked it, but only after most of her other toys were destroyed. When she finally took an interest in it, she began chomping off big hunks from the ends. I was afraid that she would swallow them, so I had to toss this one in the garbage. We have since tried a stronger and sturdier nylabone and it seems to be holding up ok. It has teeth marks on it, but that's ok. If this one doesn't last, we will have to start buying the heavy duty super expensive bones that they make.


Tennis balls designed for dogs. These are great while they last. Her favorite thing to do to these is rip the covering off of them. We found a bunch of these at Harris Teeter on clearance and we thought it was a bargain. Not much of a bargain when she just rips and strips.

Then we saw a seemingly awesome toy. Boy did that thing look sturdy. It had nylon rope and tennis balls on it. We got home and gave it to her. She love it soooooo much that she shredded the thing in minutes. I don't know HOW she did it. That thing looked super strong!!

We bought a cute kangaroo, but she ripped its head off. There have been a few more toys that have crossed our threshold, but those are some of the more memorable ones.

I just spent big bucks on a dog toy and in less than 10 minutes, she has ripped part of it off. The main ball is still in tact, but since she ripped part of it off already, I am not convinced that this toy will be sticking around long. I bought this toy because it was supposed to be very sturdy. People highly recommended it to me. In fact, when I entered the store and made a beeline to that particular display, the proprietor said, "Oh, I see you have a power chewer." Apparently, the toy was made for a dog a bit more ladylike than my girl.

Well, at least ice cubes are cheap and Bully Sticks seem to last. Don't even ask about the bully sticks....

And I bet you're wondering why I would keep buying all of these doggy toys, right?!?! Well, you see, she has not begun to chew on my household goods yet, so I am just trying to keep her interested in ANYTHING but my furniture.

So, if anyone out there is a dog owner and has a very sturdy toy, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE give me some ideas for my Belle.


1 comment:

Christelle said...

Hannah calls that dog an ikea dog, because she says it looks like something you get from that store...hmm, i however am not so convinced. =)