Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Of Cats and Dogs and Other Things

Or.....
How I can relate to my son.

A few years ago, I started running with Ski. My running didn't last long. First of all, my knees couldn't handle it. I have torsion in my legs and have always had issues with my knees. That constant pounding on the pavement was just a little too much for them. However, before my legs gave out, I discovered that I had exercise induced asthma. When I went to see my dr, he asked me a bunch of questions and told me I was pretty much textbook. That was a few years ago. Since then, I have had a few times when things popped up here and there. Driving in the car, I would have a major coughing fit. Sitting outside, I would do the same. Having a ds with asthma, I knew that this was not a great thing. Also, I would frequently have coughing fits as I laid down at night in my bed. Of course, like most people, I put off seeing my dr about this. Just a coughing fit now and then... Well, in the middle of June, I had an asthma attack daily for two weeks. I would try to go without using my inhaler and finally, I'd give in. I finally called for an appointment with an allergist who could not see me until the end of July. I went to my gp and he patiently listened to me and although my lungs sounded clear, he took me seriously and gave me some medications to get me through until I saw the allergist. His parting words were, "Be sure to tell the allergist that you recently got a dog."

So, this past Monday, I saw the allergist. My lungs sounded great to him. My nose, however, must be astonishingly blocked because my gp wondered if I could even SMELL out of my nose and the allergist also commented on how swollen and pale it was. Not encouraging words to hear. I basically failed two asthma tests. One told the dr that I had tons of inflammation in my lungs. After the second test that I failed, the nurse came in and told me that she was going to give me 6 puffs of Albuterol. I was incredulous. I said "SIX???!!!!" I normally take only two at a time and that makes my heart race like mad. Thankfully, she must have heard the panic in my voice and only made me take 4 puffs. I was able to barely pass the test, but I became incredibly silly. Just ask Ski. I laughed uncontrollably and I had a difficult time calming myself down.

In addition to the breathing tests, I got 66 skin pricks on my back which were both ticklish and painful all at once. I also had about ten intradermal shots on my arm which just plain hurt. Of all of these tests, I discovered that I am really allergic to cats, dust mites, and also walnuts (no surprise here) and pistachios, but I am hoping that pistachio is a false pos.

I have new asthma medications and get to have a joyful week on steroids -- or as we call it, "joy juice." Lets just say that at the moment, while typing this, I'd like to sit here and have a good cry. If you'd like to know more about steroids, just ask Simon. He loves them....

All of my life with the exceptions of a few years early on in our marriage, I have had a cat in my house. My mother loves kitties and we have had at least one forever. We have one now, the size of the Hindenburg, that lives in my house. Interestingly, since the dog came to live with us, the kitty has been mainly upstairs and had taken to sleeping under my bed. She is now banned from my bedroom. I need to clean out my bedroom thoroughly and cover my mattress, boxspring, pillow, and probably get a new comforter since my old one is dry clean only. Oh, and then there's the blinds and curtains. Everything needs to be either covered or easily removable and washable. Sounds like fun, huh?!?!? So, since we have this kitty that my dd would die if anything EVER happened to her, and dust mites are basically everywhere, we are seriously considering that I do immunotherapy (40 shots -- once a week).

And lets talk about walnuts. Do you know how much I hate those things?!?!?! My mother is nut obsessed. Her favorite candy is chocolate covered nuts. In fact, my mil I think is her long lost sister in terms of the nut/cat thing. Dh and I spent our childhoods picking nuts out of everything. And guess which nut was the ONLY nut my ds tested negative to on his allergy tests!! You've got it....WALNUTS. Well, I don't care. They now have good reason to stay out of my house. Oh, and I noticed that when it said walnut it said "Walnut (English/Blk)". Black walnuts taste like dirt!!! Blech!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I say the cat goes! Not that it matters what I say. ;p I feel for you with those steroids. I had to take steroids when I was having chemo. It made me feel insane, and I couldn't sleep. I'm glad you only have to take them for a week. Hang in there!

Christelle said...

NO, NO, NO!!!!!!!! Missy is NOT going!!!!!