Monday, September 13, 2010

Moving day!! Fri. and Sat, too.

Thurs at 8am, the movers came. Three guys and two trucks. We began packing wardrobes full of closet clothes and odds and ends that didn't get packed. It was lunacy. Staying out of the movers' way at the house wasn't too difficult. They finished packing the house fairly quickly. Soon we were off to the apartment.

Moving in proved to be a little more difficult. Seven people wandering around a small apartment was a bit chaotic. When a chair came in, dad found a seat and usually stayed put. That was fine with the rest of us. We unpacked wardrobes, directed traffic and boxes and I tried to unpack the kitchen in my spare time. We ended up with a living room full of boxes in the center. After all of the boxes and furniture were unloaded from the truck, the dancing began. Mom brought a little more furniture than could comfortably fit so we had to figure out what would work and what we were willing to sacrifice. During this process, the movers were VERY patient and moved a few things several times before we were finally happy. They were sweet and told us that they had seen MUCH worse and told mom that she had done a great job and not to be upset if she had brought one too many items. In the end, the move cost less than we expected AND we discovered that the cost of the move will be reimbursed!! What a blessing to mom and dad!!

We figured out some lunch and returned to work on organizing. I mainly worked on the kitchen that looked pretty good until we brought the food over. About 12pm, I fell asleep half perched on the love seat. My mother tried to wake me because she was SURE I would fall off, but I would not be stirred. I woke to an empty room and the tv set up and the coffee table on the floor. I crashed on the sofa.

Friday was filled with TONS more work. The realator had scheduled an open house for Sat. Very inconvenient... My brother had the bright idea to clear the attic of the TONS of boxes and packing material that had been stored up there. My parents, no strangers to moving, had saved all of these boxes because they knew how expensive buying moving boxes could be. J. lugged them all down, but the carpet cleaner was due that day and he was in a panic because he needed to get them all broken down and to the recycle center. Together, we filled FOUR carloads of boxes for recycling and numerous bags for trash. In the end, the carpet cleaner wouldn't do the carpets since we had left some furniture in the house. However, mom called the auction house who came and removed what they would take. J. left that night, but I stayed up late once again trying to get the house cleaned for the open house. I got back to my parents' apartment at 2am and crashed on the couch again.

Saturday, I spent most of the day at the apartment unpacking items. I unpacked my parents' car of all the things I had packed into it the night before. While I was in the parking lot loading a dolly with items, a man, about 70-80 came by and asked if he could help. He was so sweet, but I declined his assistance. I also met a lady named Gaby who thought I was moving in. While waiting for Ski to arrive, I had a nice chat with two ladies. One was related to Jacob Albright!! She had a lovely dress that I had complimented her on earlier in the day. She told me that she had made it and that she had been making her own clothes since she was 5yo. David arrived around 7pm and we went for dinner. We stopped by the house on the way home so my folks could see how it looked. We brought a few more things over and went home to bed.

In all, I don't think I sat down very much at all on Thurs, Fri or Sat. My legs hurt so bad, I could hardly get out of the car. My back hurt terribly as well. I finally got a shower on Sat morning (I was too scared to take one Fri night in an empty house late at night...). The shower helped a great deal. I hope I NEVER have back problems because I bet it is REALLY painful!!! I feel badly for those who have problems with their back. It must be a great trial.

No comments: