Monday, August 23, 2010

Disney Daze - Part Two "Downtown Dizzy"

My sweet B hates three things....crowds, most kinds of shopping (see crowds), and monkeys.

So naturally the perfect place for us visit while in Orlando was Downtown Disney--confused? Read on.... DTD's a free way for cheapskates like us to get a Disney fix as it's basically three mini-areas of themed shops, eateries and theaters.

For Mouseheads like myself, there's World of Disney, the largest store for Disney shwag outside of NYC. There's a large Lego store with giant Lego sculptures of seamonsters, basset hounds and Sheriff Woody. There's "Trend-D" for cool looking teen fashion type things, Goofy's Candy Kitchen (with $50 Rice Krispie treat Mickey and Minnie heads--I'm in the wrong profession). There's a Christmas store, a "Little Mismatched" for girls like my middle daughter who are too cool to wear socks that match.

For folks on the other side of the fence, there always seems to be families there that are just plain "Disneyed out". Someone has told these folks that there are plenty of shopping opportunities for them to separate themselves from their hard earned cash so Johnny or Suzy can get their character trinkets or something princess/pirate related. So begrudgingly they slog along with crying kids in tow who won't be satisfied with what's in the budget and want the $50 toy of their dreams. These good folks have already spent hundreds on park tickets and hotels and are wondering "when does MY vacation start???" As day turns to evening, you'll see anger, hunger, despair, heat exhaustion.

So you see why B spent most of our trips there (we went twice) asking herself and me "Why?? Why do people LIKE this place? Why do they take pics of themselves and their kids in front of a fake wooden Buzz Lightyear statue? or sitting next to a fake Winnie the Pooh?" She said she just "didn't get it". I know it's not her thing. So I was just grateful she let me geek out a little. She's a wonderful girl and I'm so blessed by having her as my bride. She even mentioned a casual interest in a Minnie Mouse apron, but I knew her heart wasn't really in it.

So what about the monkeys? We'll I had been jonesing since '98 to go back to the Rainforest Cafe since eating there during a business trip. I had my chance that afternoon during lunch. I had also heard that the chefs there would adapt their menu for food allergies--a key feature we experienced over and over again on Disney properties. Both our waitress and the chef treated IZ like royalty, preparing a HUGE grilled chicken salad for him (on a clean grill) that he said was "better than everyone else's food." The Rainforest decor is a jungle theme complete with robotic elephants, parrots, tropical fish...and monkeys....lots of primates....loud screeching, grunting primates...above and beside our table. Had I thought about this a bit more, I would've realized this wouldn't be a huge blessing for Becky. (I'm a little thick some times). The food and service was top notch. But we'll probably never go back. It was cool back in the 90s, but I think I've had my fill.

Becky's would be rewarded the next day, but first we spent an enjoyable rest of the day in the pool back at the hotel. We had one more issue though as one of our party got sick at 4am (due to heat, overeating at Rainforest, or the tv dinners we bought later that evening). I called down for a new set of sheets, which arrived right away, but with no mattress cover. I called again about thirty minutes later for one and Becky sent me back to the other room to rest while she waited for the cover. Two hours later (6am) I heard a knock and opened the door to find my now very tired and perturbed wife STILL waiting for the mattress cover. I walked down to the front desk, already buzzing with people checking in and was told they "would've brought it up sooner but didn't want to wake us". Umm. Next time why not CHECK??????

We changed the bed and I decided I would sit with/snuggle with her until she fell asleep. The boys were just rousing and were watching some tv so we fell alseep.....and didn't wake up until 10:30....and checkout was at 11!! AAAAAH!

If there was a game show where you had to rouse your family from sound sleep in two different rooms, make them pack all their things and food into a van, and check out of a hotel in less than 25 minutes, we'd be champions!! I will post some pics we took standing next to the van soon--we look very tired. We stopped at Starbucks on the way to our next destination for some breakfast.

As I mentioned before, things were about to take a change for us, especially for my beautiful, tired bride....next time, Part three, "The Magic Ensues".

No comments: