Tuesday, July 22, 2008

I once thought I was wrong , but I was mistaken

Know what I'd REALLY like in a Presidential candidate? I'd like someone, for once, to come out and say, "You know, I was wrong about that..." I think I'd fall out of my chair. And I don't mean blame shifting by saying "I was wrong in supporting that other guy who made a really bad decision." No just "I was wrong, and I'm sorry."

I realize their opponent would probably copy the confession and create a negative campaign ad: "Ski for President, wrong on issue X, wrong for America". But COME ON!! How about a little humility? I'd vote for someone who isn't perfect and shiny but who is willing to admit his mistakes and point out what he's doing to change/rectify them.

The news doesn't tell many stories about when a surge is working or when a major bank has MUCH better than expected quarterly net income in a "slow economy". Nope, instead "if it bleeds, it leads" on TV. We get answers like, "I wouldn't phrase it that way, I don't see it as being wrong, I understand things from a different perspective now." So Welcome to the magical land where no one is wrong folks!

Phooey!

I think an underlying reason politicians don't admit to being wrong is it shows that God is in total control and He can keep our world going in spite of all the stupid mistakes our leaders make. In a way, they and their parties are not really that important.

I know this is true in my own life. I can, and I know B and the skibums can easily come up with a long list of things I've been wrong about. RECENTLY.

Yet, do they love and support me any less when I confess my sins and mistakes to them? Nope. In fact, they freely and regularly admit their love, devotion and respect for me.

"God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble".

I experience grace when I look in B's green eyes and hear of her trust in God's leadership through me. She still holds my hand, smiles and lays her head on my shoulder. My children speak realistically, but kindly in their support of me--having seen many examples of my impatience and selfishness towards them.

I'd love to see God pour out that kind of grace on our present/future President. We'll see if I'm wrong about that too.

No comments: